Re: Fedora 12/13 network printer oddness

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 14:25 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I'm not sure if you read the first message, but yes, I have the
>> appropriate holes poked in the firewall. My other desktop (MythTV
>> machine) works fine. I have also verified the firewall with "iptables
>> -S | grep 631"
>
> I couldn't recall what you'd said, back then, but the message I replied
> to said you'd probed the laptop and not had any responses.  That sounds
> like the firewall is in the way.  Perhaps you've got conflicting rules?
>
> Post the entire rules list, if you can, for someone else to check, if
> you can't find a conflict by yourself.

Actually I've narrowed it down a bit, it's not a CUPS problem at all,
but a network one. I have a theory but I need to prove (or disprove)
it. My wife's laptop was acting up again so I started restarting
services like iptables and cups, no go. Then I decided to restart
NetworkManager and what do you know, it started working!

I noticed that when it wasn't working that the ABRT applet was up, my
wife's laptop suffers from the 64bit flash bug so firefox crashes on
close sometimes, so my theory is that the crash in firefox is somehow
affecting NetworkManager. When I have time to test it I'll start a new
thread with the info.

Thanks everyone!

Richard