Re: NFS

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 12:07 -0500, Dale J. Chatham wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 11:57 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > On 06/14/2010 12:54 PM, Dale J. Chatham wrote:
> >
> >> Gaaaaakkkk!!!!
> >>
> >> I was wondering why I had to scroll past pages to find the newly added
> >> part of the conversation.

Having to scroll past pages of content isn't the fault of top-posting.
It's the fault of posters being too lazy to edit their quoted material
down to the part they are actually replying to.

> >> Since it appears to be the rules, sure, but, gaaaaakkkkkk!!!!!

See below.

> > Then why are you choosing to violate the no top posting rule.
> >

> Yeah, just caught that after I hit send.
>
> But to answer your question, I have *NEVER* posted this way.  You're
> fighting over 15 years of training to do it otherwise.

Perhaps you mean 15 years of using Outlook or corresponding with Outlook
users. AFAIK top-posting is a creation of MS and is used largely in the
business community, where the culture doesn't seem to understand the
concept of threads or archiving and finds it necessary to copy every
list and the practice is widely disliked.

> I frankly think such control is a bit Draconian, but it's not my list,
> so, I'll do the best I can.  But, given 15 years, and this being the
> *ONLY* list (of upward of 50 that I'm on) that insists on this standard,
> well, do the math.

It's a guideline. No-one is enforcing it except by social pressure, same
as with not hijacking threads or not posting HTML. That said, people who
follow the guidelines have a better chance of being listened to. Not
annoying the people you talk with is a good policy in general. For
example, in private conversations I often use top-posting since it's
what some people expect. List traffic is a different beast.

And it's not an uncommon policy. In fact every Internet list of
technical content I'm on follows the "no top-posting" policy, either
through explicit guidelines or via tacit convention.

poc