Re: What is a "forward map" in dhcp?

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 12:39 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> When my son tries to connect to our LAN with his Blackberry,
> the request is first refused and then accepted.
> Why is this?

It doesn't look like it is accepted, the next request is a different
thing (not a "forward map").

Though, on the other hand, is it really the client asking for that
hostname, or your DHCP is trying to set that name into the DNS records,
itself, and failing at that.  Updating has to be allowed on the DHCP and
DNS servers, and there has to be an method of allowing it (e.g. a shared
key file between DNS and DHCP server).

When a DHCP client requests an address, there's (potentiallY) several
parts to the request, all handled (and logged) separately.  The client
may ask to use a particular IP, it's given an IP, the client can ask to
use a particular hostname, it may be given a hostname, its IP may be
written into the DNS records, it's hostname may be written into the DNS
records.

> Why does he require authorization (at first),
> and how could I give it to him?

It stops rogue users connecting and asking to be given a hostname like
"mail", for example, and insert themselves as your mail server.

To allow clients to set their own domain names into your DNS/DHCP
records, you need to configure your servers to allow that.  That said, I
see no point in it, and if you do, you must lock out any hostnames that
would subvert something else.

On my LAN, my DHCP server does update records in my DNS server, but it
updates them with the names that the server doles out.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.