Re: Amazing problem of /boot

On 12 June 2010 13:11, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 June 2010, Pallav Jain wrote:
>># /etc/fstab
>># Created by anaconda on Mon Jun  7 06:08:04 2010
>>#
>># Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
>># See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or vol_id(8) for more
>> info #
>>UUID=a1198e23-8da4-47c4-90f1-d516fef0b796 /boot                   ext3
>>defaults,noatime,nodiratime        1 2c
>
> And what precisely does this '1 2c' do?

The fstab man page says:

       The fifth field, (fs_freq),  is  used  for  these  filesystems  by  the
       dump(8)  command  to determine which filesystems need to be dumped.  If
       the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is  returned  and  dump
       will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.

       The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to deter-
       mine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The
       root  filesystem  should  be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other
       filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within  a  drive
       will  be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will
       be checked at the same time to utilize  parallelism  available  in  the
       hardware.   If  the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero
       is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not  need  to
       be checked.

So I believe that you've diagnosed the problem. "2c" isn't a valid
option and may be throwing whatever parses the mount options at boot
off. This might cause /boot not to mount, which isn't a big problem as
it's only necessary to mount it when installing new kernels or editing
grub.conf. Pallav should try removing the "c" from the end of that
line and see if that corrects the problem.

--
Sam