Re: Bad hard drive or bad kernels ???

Linuxguy123 wrote:

[...]

> I've never not been able to get my computer to boot, but sometimes it
> takes 5 tries.  Sometimes it works the first time.
>
> I never had any boot problems before it started in January.
>
> I've checked the hard drive.  All the SMART data says the drive is fine.
> And grub has never failed to run.
>
> So is there something wrong with my laptop or is this a kernel problem ?

This is classic indication of a hardware problem. I'd shut down, turn
off, and unplug. Then I'd open the case, and reseat everything that
can be unplugged and reseated. Disc drive cables, all add on boards,
memory boards, etc. If it has a connector, I'd unplug and reseat it.
I'd also vacuum everyhing, and clean out the heatsinks, and make sure
all fans spin properly while I had the case open. It won't help
this problem, but it probably needs doing, anyway.

If that doesn't help, then I'd boot and run memtest from a CD-ROM.

Another check is to get some LiveCD distro, like Knoppix, and see
if it can run that. If so, then that'll clear the memory and processor,
etc.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.