Re: FC13 Virt & Win XP guest

On Thursday 10 June 2010 12:31 AM, Ken Smith wrote:

> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Thursday 10 June 2010 12:18 AM, Ken Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, I've set up FC13 64bit on a machine with an intel i7 and 4G memory
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get a simple virtualisation to work. I followed the
>>> instructions here ->
>>>
>>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Installing_Windows_XP_as_a_fully_virtualized_guest.html
>>>

>>> The install of XP runs fine but when it reboots to run the GUI part of
>>> the install I get this message in the VM's console:-
>>>
>>> Booting from Hard Disk:
>>>
>>> A disk read error occurred
>>> Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart
>>>

>> Pick boot from CD and reboot, it will fix itself. I also ran into this
>> yesterday.
>>

> I'm installing from an ISO image of the XP install CD. Won't that just
> kick off the install from the start over again?

I was installing from a CD, so I went to the hardware details tab and
selected the CD ROM drive in boot options as the boot device. I know
this sounds stupid, but it worked then. However after your email I tried
to check whether it can still boot. (of course after changing the boot
device to something appropriate) But its stuck at "Booting from Hard Disk"

I will try again when I have some time this weekend. This might also be
a valid bug as I got this SElinux error every time I started a VM in
virt manager.

> SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/qemu-kvm "write" access on sr0.

I am sorry my response is not very precise. I 'll look into this in more
detail when I have more time.

> Ken

GL resolving this
--