Re: Extract file from tar home/

On 06/09/2010 09:55 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 09:20 AM, g wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> In the past 10+ years that has not happened.  If it does, I'll let you
>>> know what I did.  FWIW, I always compress my archive files.
>>>
>> may you continue to be blessed with such good fortune.
>>
>> post it on list. i promise not to laugh. :)
>>
> OK...  For the fun of it I dug up an old CD-RW disk that had a
> compressed tar file on it with a photo archive.  If I recall correctly,
> the disk was written on a Liteon drive that lasted less than 6 months in
> my system of the time.  The CD was written in February of 2002 and was
> stored in a box packed up in 2002 when I moved offices.  It hadn't see
> the light of day until today.  Extracted the full archive without problem.

I've had occasion to reconstruct a compressed tar archive from a tape
with one unreadable block.  Decompress the archive up to the missing
block, find another source for the uncompressed data that belonged
there, splice that in, recompress from the beginning up through the
bad block, append the compressed data from the rest of the tape.
Presto!  All recovered!

Tons of fun, if you're into that sort of thing.

Not so much fun that I'd care to try it again, though.

                 Do NOT delete it.