Re: How do I associate *.jnlp files to Java Webstart (javaws) on GNOME?

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 10:53 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 05:05, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 21:48 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
>         > the thing is that when Chrome downloads a JNLP file it by
>         > default saves it somewhere on the filesystem, and offers a
>         "Open"
>         > option, along with a "always open files from this type". If
>         I use the
>         > "Open" option, JNLP file is opened on gedit, and if the
>         "always
>         > open ..." checkbox is checked, clicking on a JNLP file link
>         also opens
>         > the file on gedit. This is why I believe some additional
>         client-side
>         > mime-type configuration is needed.
>

>         If you gave some examples, people could look and see if it
>         works for
>         them, or whether /that/ site was broken.
>

> Well, I tried. On my 2nd reply I said this:
>

> "All JNLP links behave the same. Try this one for
> example: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorialJWS/uiswing/learn/ex6/CelsiusConverter.jnlp
>

> Remember: it works on Firefox, so you should really try with Chrome
> (and Nautilus, once you've saved the JNLP file locally)."
>

> This, combined with the explanation above, and the description on the
> original post (note that I am the one who posted comment #34 on
> Chromium issue), pretty much sums it all AFAICT. Let me know what
> additional info you need and I'll be happy to provide.
>

> Regards,
>

> Andre

Ok, so I downloaded the jnlp file to the desktop.
I am using sun's java:
java version "1.6.0_19"
installed under /usr/jdk

I right clicked on the CelsiusConverter.jnlp file.
In the dialog box, I selected the "Open with" tab.
I clicked the Add button.
Select "Use a custom command" and entered /usr/jdk/bin/javaws.
Closed all dialog windows.
Double clicked on the CelsiusConverter.jnlp icon on the desktop.
Javaws lauched the app and I converted temperatures.

--
Brian Millett - [ Timov, "Soul Mates"]
"The secret of our marriage's success, Londo, is our lack of communication."