Re: GDM slow to accept password

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:01:52 +0930
Tim wrote:

> It baffles me how computers can do millions of things a second, yet
> spend so long parsing simple text files (e.g. the GDM config file and
> password list, in this case, to make a couple of educated guesses about
> what it's doing).

Another reason to switch to KDM :-).

I actually looked at the source for GDM back when they first "helpfully"
removed the gdm-setup program, and the thing is total insanity. There
are about 15 separate processes communicating via dbus messages (only
a slight exaggeration :-). How anyone could manage to make a program
with the single job of validating credentials so insanely complex
(while still managing to actually remove important and useful
features) is beyond my understanding.