Re: radeon to nvidia to radeon produces pain

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 01:30:10 -0500,
>  Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I might have screamed too soon.
>> After using Xorg -configure,
>> I replaced the old xorg.conf with the generated version.
>> Does this mean I have hardware acceleration at last?
>>> [root@localhost ~]# glxinfo | grep -e ender -e adeon
>>> IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
>>> direct rendering: Yes
>
> I believe that indicates that at least some level of hardware rendering
> is used.
>
>>> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV635 9598) 20090101 AGP 8x  TCL
>>> [root@localhost ~]#
>> I haven't installed anything that would need it yet.
>> Should I worry that adeon didn't show up?
>
> No. That command is getting information about how much of opengl is supported
> and the hardware manufacturer isn't needed. Though RV635 is the chip that
> is the main part of your video card.
>
> You can look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you want to see the words ati and
> radeon.

Thanks.  I should have remembered.
This mess has my brain in about the same condition as Einstein's.

>> I still have the urge to kill something.
>
> Try install a FPS (such as nexuiz) and you can kill two birds with one stone.

No matter how many frames per second I get out of the card,
it won't replace the joy of manually reducing something's necksize.
On that subject, I think FC11 is still overclocking the card.
How do I tell it not to?

Also, a problem I've had forever seems to be worse with FC13.
With FC13, I only get to see about a quarter of
a character on the left edge of the screen.
In the past, I've tried adjusting the monitor, but eventually gave up.
The problem occurs in both text and graphical modes.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.