Re: F13: Evolution icons - configurable?

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:41 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to Fedora 13, and am finding the evolution mail
> client icons a bit awkward. I use KDE for the desktop. I found this
> image on the 'net of basically what it use to look like:
> http://www.backuphowto.info/files/images/howto/2007/linux-screw-10-total-4-unread-evolution.png
>
> Personally I preferred the old icons, is there any way re-install them?

If you log in under Gnome, that's what you get (at least it's what I
get.) However under KDE I get a different set. The problem is I don't
know where they came from or how to change them. My specific nit is that
the icons for Delete and Junk look almost identical, causing a lot of
visual confusion. Bad design or bad configuration?

Anyway, I've tried messing with Settings->GTK+ Appearance and with
Settings->Icons, to no effect. I don't see how to change the icons for
Evo without using a completely different theme, even assuming that will
do it. In previous incarnations of Fedora there were some GTK themes
that simply wouldn't work properly under KDE, leading to serious loss of
funcionality in at least one case I remember.

OT: it's somewhat surprising that "easy to use" desktop environments
make the configuration of appearance so hard. The user (i.e. me) can
never remember where the various parts are configured or what they're
called. A case in point: some Gnome apps (Chromium is one) have a
vertical scroll bar where the slider is almost indistinguishable from
the background. I'm sure this must be configurable somewhere, but where?
The docs seem to be written for and by the designers rather than the
users. I've perused userbase.kde.org to no avail so far (I've only spent
a half-hour or so on it ...). What I'd like to be able to do is point at
*anything* in the GUI and ask "what's this and where is it configured?".
If anyone knows of a way of doing that, please tell.

poc