Re: encrypted disk/partition

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM, fred smith
<fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 01:29:10PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> fred smith wrote:
>> > in F13, Anaconda seems to allow encrypted partitions ONLY if you use LVM.
>> > If I set up the disk as simple partitions with no lvm/VG/raid, how can
>> > I realize encrypted partitions or even whole disk?
>> >
>> If you do configuration manually IIRC there is an 'encrypt' checkbox for each
>> new partition you create.
>
> Hi Bill!
>
> Um, if you're talking about the manual partitioning in Anaconda, then
> yes, you're correct, but if you explicitly delete the LVM/VG stuff from
> the proposed partitioning scheme, that checkbox becomes greyed. Sorry,
> that's what I had intended to say above, but I wasn't explicit enough.
>
> [OT]
> Does anyone here besides me remember the large ad in (Byte???) from the
> late eighties with a photo of Bill in it, advertising a C compiler
> for DOS from a certain large corporation? :)
>
> No, I'm not trying to insult you Bill, I'm just showing my age. We know
> you're firmly in the FOSS camp.
> [/OT]
> --

Logical volumes may solve an upgrade issue and as such be 'expected'
by many tools.

If the contents of a device are encrypted it will look "random"
and unused... and thus appear to be fair game for an operating system to
step on it.  Is anaconda attempting to avoid exactly this...?

--
        NiftyFedora
        T o m   M i t c h e l l