RE: F13 GDM--WAS: Re: Fedora 11 GDM - unwanted list of all local users and impossible to customize?

>NM is configured to bring up wireless when someone logs in, so that
>wouldn't work. but by sheer chance I had previously configured the
>wired network to come up on boot, so I could log in via ssh to
>poke around.

By editing your grub cmd which you can do regardless of network config
and telling it to boot into something other than "5" will help in the
future.

>I'd love to get rid of the user list. (one wonders: just because Windoze
>exposes all the users to anyone walking by, does that mean Linux therefore
>must do the same stupid thing?)

I'm sorry, I don't know what "Windoze" is, but there is a an operating
system called Windows that if you know how to administer correctly allows
for the Welcome Screen to be disabled or even certain users hidden from it.

>Anyone else know how to turn off the user list on F13?

Not in Gnome:)