Re: preupgrade: not enough space again

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 18:10 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 01:22 +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> > I'm just wondering why we don't have a tool for yum upgrades that
> > downloads the packages and after OK by the user drops down to single
> > user mode and installs them, at the end trying a reboot once the
> > operation is complete..
>
> It's called preupgrade (the order of events is slightly different from
> you propose but the idea is basically the same).

AFAIK preupgrade uses anaconda, not just yum. What it does is similar to
an upgrade with an install DVD. If I'm not mistaken, anaconda can use
some dirty tricks in performing upgrades, such as ignoring some package
dependencies in order to get the system installed from the DVD...
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor