Re: Did I mess up?

On Saturday 29 May 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 13:11 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greets all;'
>>
>> I put the F13-x86_64 dvd in the lappies drive and saw from the prelim
>> screen that it could install or upgrade, so I checked the disk, it was
>> good, and clicked next.  Its installing now, over the F13 beta, but
>> never once did it ask me if I wanted to update that install.
>>
>> Its no big deal as I didn't have anything of value on that machine, but
>> it does seem strange that the installer should mention it up front, but
>> then never again mention doing an upgrade.
>>
>> Should it have?
>
>Did you select "Upgrade" over "Install"? It appears that once you do
>that, you're committed. It doesn't ask you again after the Grub config
>screen. IIRC this is a change from previous Fedoras and personally I
>think it's a mistake, but it is mentioned in the docs.
>
>poc

That choice as a "click it" item, was not presented once the disk had been
hash checked and found good.  The only place I saw it was on the opening
screen as the dvd booted the first time, and that was not presented as a
click it, yes or no option, just mentioned in the initial boilerplate.  So
unless it timed out while I was doing other things on this box, and took
what it thought was the default action, no, it never asked me.

As for the grub screen, IIRC it went from the language and keyboard
questions to the clock & then just started doing the install.  I certainly
didn't tell it where to put grub at any time.  So I assumed it was
duplicating what was there.

And I think it must be the screen blanker asking me for my PW, its kicking
in while the package manager is doing its thing.  Since I'm the only user,
can that be turned off someplace?  That could get to be a PIMA.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)