radeon to nvidia to radeon produces pain

I'm on my third video card.
The first was a radeon.
After I zapped that one, I had it replaced with
an nvidia card because it had AGP and I could find it.
Having cooked or otherwise damaged that one,
I replaced it with a VisionTek Radeon HD 3650.
It was the AGP card I could find.
Knoppix 5.1.0 runs just fine.
I'm using it now.
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ uname -a
Linux Knoppix 2.6.19 #7 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 17 22:01:07 CET 2006 i686
GNU/Linux
knoppix@Knoppix:~$
Fedora 11, not so great.
It never gets to X.
The last messages to the console involve the ethernet connection.
Disconnecting and reconnecting results in more messages.
Alternate consoles show the login prompt.
After logging in as root, I have to run dhclient explicitly
to acccess the internet.
At the suggestion of a friend, I did
yum grouperase 'X Window System'
yum groupinstall 'X Window System'
It didn't help.
Xorg.conf now says I have vesa where I used to say I had nvidia.
What do I need to do to make Fedora work?

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.