Re: graphics card on fire

Gordon Messmer:
>> I don't believe that the Free drivers feature any power management
>> functions of NVidia hardware, currently.

Philip Heron:
> That explains it, thanks. That's gotta be a big drain for laptops with
> nvidia chips.

Well, using the NVidia drivers from RPMfusion, while still on Fedora 9,
my laptop certain does speed up and slow down the cooling fan.  However,
since it's one fan for both the graphics card and the CPU, I couldn't
say what's controlling it.  Anybody with separate fans care to comment?

For what it's worth, I was given a fairly good NVidia card from a friend
who had fried the fan in his Windows box, a couple of years ago.  I just
sat a 3 inch fan next to it, the type in the typical power supply, and
it runs fine.  Better than before, actually.  Now the whole card is
cooled, rather than just one chip.  And more than that one chip gets
hot.  ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686