Re: root password prompts

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 02:27 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> The fellow I responded to is contributing to a thread which
> concerns precise differences between how different tools
> handle security. He already wrote one inaccurate statement,
> from which I infer that he is not writing very clearly, and
> possibly not thinking very clearly, about what takes place
> when these programs run, to wit, implying that sudo prompts
> for root's password, which it does not. When I tried to
> "read behind" what he wrote, which was obviously inaccurate,
> and supposed that he meant "su", he corrected me, reinforcing
> my belief that he was not giving due consideration to what
> he is writing.

Speaking as the "fellow" you are presumably referring to, your account,
dripping with condescension despite your assertion that it isn't about
ego or posturing, signally fails to mention my further reply to this
point. There is no confusion in my mind about what was said, there is no
confusion in my mind about sudo and how it works, there is no confusion
about what the OP wanted to know (which is not the same as what he said
he wanted to know). The only one who's confused about what was said
appears to be you, since you again state that I think sudo remembers
passwords, despite my replying that I don't think that and that the very
idea is insane.

poc