Re: root password prompts

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:17:41 -0700
Suvayu Ali wrote:

> In short you are better off configuring sudo and calling
> system-config-printer from the terminal like this,
>
> $ sudo system-config-printer

Yes, running this stuff as root usually works (except
for the brief period of time where the code refused to authorize
root to run as root :-), but I was just trying out the
"normal" interface to see if it worked as I'd been told.
I guess it doesn't.

The system-config-printer case seems to be the most insane
with separate root prompts showing up at several stages
of the printer definition process.

This, of course, brings up the whole "login as root"
controversy, since it isn't at all obvious what the
heck the names of the programs are which are associated
with menu items, so it is far simpler to login as root
in order to run these things without getting
prompted over and over.

Those in "the know" can grep in the /usr/share/applications
directory or just ls /usr/bin/system-config-* and make
good guesses, but it takes a while to stumble across
that info.