Re: F12->F13 DVD Upgrade fails

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 11:07 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I downloaded the F13 final ISO image for x86_64 using Bittorrent,
> verified the SHA254 checksum, burned the DVD, rebooted, verified the
> media, and attempted to upgrade.
>
> I get this message immediately after selecting the install drive and
> hitting Next:
>
>                                      Error
>         Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing
>         repodata directory. Please ensure that your install tree has
>         been correctly generated.
>
>         Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
>         anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130101.x86_64. Please verify its
>         path and try again.
>
> I rebooted and rechecked the media, and did it all again, with the same
> result.
>
> Two points here:
>
> 1) This appears to be something missing from the DVD, in which case it's
> surprising it hasn't been noticed before. Maybe I'm the first to try
> upgrading a x86_64 system from DVD?
>
> 2) The error message is of little practical use to average user. "Please
> ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated"? How? Verify
> the path? WTF?

Further to the above, I decided to try installing from the hard disk.
The Installation Guide says you can use "linux askmethod" at boot time
to point to an image of the installation DVD. What it doesn't say
clearly enough is that you can't do this by booting the DVD itself (why
on Earth not?). I finally figured I needed a Boot CD-ROM, so off I go to
the "images" directory on the DVD to copy it.

However nothing in that directory is labelled as an .iso image file. The
README talks about "boot.iso" but there is no such file on the entire
DVD (I verified with "find").

This is all turning out to be far harder than it should be. I've
upgraded every version of Fedora since at least FC7 and never had this
much trouble. Wasn't this supposed to be getting easier?

Now I'm left wondering if I can configure the DVD image as a repo and
somehow use Preupgrade on it. Shouldn't this be an option in any case?

poc