RE: Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail resolution

> Subject: Re: Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail > resolution

> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 19:21 -0600, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I've been looking at this for some time in both the
> > archives of the list and the web in general.  The problem
> > is that when my Fedora 12 machine is connected though the
> > KVM (Apex Outlook 8 port) the monitor shows up as "Unknown"
> > and the resolution is limited to 800x600.
> >
> > If I plug the monitor directly into the machine, it resolves
> > just fine and I have the full range of resolutions.
> >
> I understood (incorrectly?) that kernel 2.6.33 will have an option
> video=xxx option that would allow to fake the EDID. Now we don't have
> 2.6.33 in F12, so we may have to wait for F13 to try this. I have a
> similar problem here with a video splitter, so I would be quite
> interested in a solution myself.....

This is a restart of an old thread I kept in my mailbox.  F13 is now out
and I am in the process of upgrading my F12 system which is still
pretty vanilla.  If take the monitor out of the KVM and plug it right
into the machine, it correctly detects the monitor.

The question becomes, how do I find out what the EDID is so I can
attempt to plug it in?

<rant>Since the video card is correctly identified, if it cannot figure
      out what the monitor is, it should let you use what the video
      card can handle instead of locking you in to 800x600.
</rant>

Actually, if they had let me use 1024x768, I would not have noticed the
problem since that is what I wanted anyway.

Bob S.