Re: Linux for T1 bonding ???

On 05/25/2010 02:40 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:

interesting quest! :)

My experience with cable has been that it is highly variable in bandwidth. In
upstate NY you can get DSL up to 7Mbit and FIOS at 15Mbit and you get the speed
you pay for. Depending on your usage you might even have the T1 for incoming
connections to your servers and use a DHCP connection on another ISP like cable
for things which don't need static IP on outbound connections, like browsing,
VPN depending on your setup, etc, etc.

Having done bonded lines "back when" I became aware that total bandwidth goes up
but the speed doesn't, so ping and anything depending on response time won't
change. And you want to advertise larger TCP window sizes so that you will back
up some packets and actually use the bonding. Some bonding methods don't put
packets for a given connection on the "other" wire until they have a few packets
waiting.

Great feed back to hear before we make a decision! Thx!!!
--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer