Re: Linux for T1 bonding ???

On 05/25/2010 11:39 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:31:35 -0700,
>    jack craig<jcraig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> Any open source references to recommend? I have not been finding a lot
>> of options...
>>
> When I was looking at getting a T1, bonded T1s sold by the provider were
> fairly common. Unless you are looking at doing something cheaper, that
> may be your best bet.
>
> If you are using two different providers, I don't think you can atcually do
> what is typically referred to as "bonding". Normally that is handled with
> routing.

I've hit a couple bumps in this investigation.

the boss first said check into comcast cable (static ip's available),
but then he was assuming it was a t1 serve that could be bonded
with our current t1.

so far, t1 & cable modem are separate, discreet options.

i found mushroom networks and they offer a bonding appliance that says
its smart about load
balancing, e.g. using all bonded lines.

mark pointed out vyatta, that looks interesting too.

The cable connection rates are real low compared to our t1, i am not
thinking
we ought to get the cable connection and if its as fast as advertised,
ditch the t1 we have now.

interesting quest! :)

thx for your comments, jackc...

--