Re: Need an eth0:1 temporarily, howto?

On 05/23/2010 12:06 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2010, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> It didn't appear that I had to, and thank you very much.
>>
>> Routing, by default, for IP's on same subnet  uses the network on that
>> subnet. So no need to change or add any route.
>
> Well, at some point I have to move cables and then convince this cable modem
> its a valid client, probably by cloning the right MAC address.  My web page
> is not accessible using the current lashup with a BEFSR41 router.  Partly
> because it doesn't have any DynDNS facilities in it.  dd-wrt does.

  FYI - depending on  your cable connection speed the BEFSR41 may not be
able to keep up.

   I've seen a BEFSX41 (it is quite a bit faster than the BEFSR) reduce
the download speed by a good 5 Mb/s or more on a 30 x 5 Mb/s cable
connection.

    Meanwhile a linux firewall with over 40,000 rules caused zero
degradation - on a 3.2 Ghz Pentium D box with 2 GB of memory.

    As speeds are getting half decent, some of the older (and newer)
cable routers may not be able to keep up.

   Not sure whose system you're on ... that is MAC locking - most dont
do that anymore I thought. They do lock to the MAC of the cable modem to
identify you're a customer.

gene