Need an eth0:1 temporarily, howto?

Greetings;

CRS is catching up with me I believe.

What is the invocation of ifconfig that will bring me up a working eth0:1 at
an address of 192.168.1.3?

One that will let me ping dd-wrt at its std 192.168.1.1 address on a
different 192.168.xx.xx subnet from the regular eth0 .

I've apparently nuked my dd-wrt install on an x86 box, and I need to talk to
it via the eth0:1 address long enough to configure it to work with a *&%$#
cable modem that marries itself to the first MAC address it see's.

Thanks folks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)