Re: May 17-19 update borked my system

On Wed, 19 May 2010 01:52:05 -0400
Dennis Mattingly <dennismattinglyzzark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The most recent round of updates did two things:
> : It changed my resolution (fonts are smaller, desktop icons moved,
> toolbar icons moved)
> : I can no longer play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
>
> ********************
> ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support
> the necessary features: GL_ARB_texture_rectangle or
> GL_EXT_texture_rectangle ********************
>
> So I have two questions:
> 1) How can I list the packages that were updated in my last update?
> 2) How much blame shall I assign to NVIDIA / Fedora?

Very likely you installed the new kernel from fedora updates, but
rpmfusion had not yet pushed out the new nvidia kmod, leaving you with
a non working binary only non free nvidia driver. ;(

So, your options are:

- Boot to the previous kernel, everything will work, just wait a few
  days, then boot back to the new kernel and 'yum install kmod-nvidia'
  to get the new kmod from rpmfusion.

- yum install akmod-nvidia to switch to the akmod, which builds on boot
  of any new kernel.

I'm assuming you are using the rpmfusion one. If you are using the
nasty .run file from nvidia, you will need to download and re-run it
each time your kernel updates.

kevin