Re: resolv.conf, NetworkManager, no ping response on one nameserver

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 15:24 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> I still left  ifcfg-etho with DOMAIN=pacbell.net; (possibly also set
> in my router config? It has been years since I had to fuss with that).
> I might want to get into the router and change pacbell.net to
> sbcglobal.net, but it seems there is no serious conflict using
> pacbell.net

The domain= or search= parameters are to do with what domain names to
automatically prepend to hostnames.  Say, for example, you try

  ping testbox

it'll automatically try to

  ping testbox.pacbell.net

The same goes for other things you address by just a hostname (NFS
mounts, mail servers, web servers, etc.), and for constructing local
domain names from DHCP assigned hostnames (though it might be the source
of providing the domain name, rather than the client adding a domain
name).

If you do that sort of thing (make use of short hostnames), having an
inappropriate domain name parameter will cause you problems.  If you
don't do that sort of thing, you'll probably never notice it.

An "inappropriate" domain name is one that isn't yours to control, and
that includes your ISP's domain name.

The domain parameter virtually says this is your domain.  The search
parameter can list a series of domain names to try appending.  Though
you really shouldn't have both options set, according to the docs I read
some time ago.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686