Re: Would like to configure second local terminal.

On 05/16/2010 07:37 AM, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> I'm a tad short on hardware for a second box at home for the moment. I
> do however have enough for 2 complete sets of Keyboard Video and Mouse,
> and my system is quadcore with 4GB ram. I'd like to configure the system
> to have two completely independent terminals (sound I don't care about)
> But I have not found a good way to do this. I have tried using
> VirtualBox and assigning a keyboard and mouse to the guest only, but
> that only partially worked (mouse only). Any example xorg.conf files
> would be appriciated (for nvidia or nouveau w/3d as my kid likes games
> such as extremetuxracer and bzflag). Thanks.

Well, I do not KNOW how to do it, but because of the lack of
response, I will try to give you some pointers. In your xorg.conf
file, you will need to define 2 device entries - one for each card.
You will need to use BusID to specify the card you are defining. I
believe you will also need to define 2 monitor sections. You are
going to want at least 4 InputDevice definitions - one for each
keyboard and mouse. You will then need to create 2 Screen sections.
This is where you define the monitor and video card pair.

You put all the pieces together in the ServerLayout sections. You
will want to have one for each "terminal". This should finish the
things you need in xorg.conf. The names you give in each
ServerLayout section will be use to start an X server. You will need
two of them running - one for each "terminal".

Now comes the part that I am really hazy about. You have to define 2
local X servers in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers You will probably want to
use :0 and :1 for the server numbers. I think that you would use
something like this:

:0 server0 local /usr/bin/X :0
:1 server1 local /usr/bin/X :1

where server0 and server1 are the names given in the ServerLayout
sections of xorg.conf.

You can find more information in the xorg.conf, X, and xdm man
pages. I hope this points you in the right direction.

Mikkel