Re: anacron question

On 05/17/2010 08:52 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 15:28:51 +0200
> Frank Elsner wrote:
>
>> Is from FC6 but should be same on F12:
>
> Perhaps it should be the same, but in fact it isn't
> even remotely the same. All the anacron and cron stuff
> has been completely rejiggered in f12.
>
> I've been able to completely disable anacron, but
> while learning how to do that I didn't happen to find
> how it gets started.
>
> I'd suggest doing a rpm -q --list cronie-anacron
> and see if you can decrypt the contents of any of
> the scripts that lists...

In F12 as distributed, anacron is started once an hour by crond,
and the /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} jobs are run _only_ by
anacron.  See /etc/cron.d/0hourly and /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron .

Reasons for the change from earlier releases:

A) Avoid having many machines on a network all hammering a server
    at the same time for daily, weekly, or monthly jobs.  (Anacron
    has provision for a random delay.)

B) Avoid having 2 different ways of starting the same job (sometimes
    by crond, sometimes by anacron).

                 Do NOT delete it.