Re: First NFS entry in fstab not mounting at boot

On 16 May 2010 18:37, Genes MailLists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/16/2010 12:18 PM, BadMagic wrote:
>>
>> True - I'll try it.
>>
>> I tried changing the order as Sam suggested:
>>
>> [sam@samlap ~ ]$ sudo chkconfig --del NetworkManager
>> [sam@samlap ~ ]$ sudo chkconfig --add NetworkManager
>> [sam@samlap ~ ]$ sudo chkconfig NetworkManager on
>> [sam@samlap ~ ]$ ls /etc/rc5.d/S*NetworkManager
>>

>  I am not convinced this will change the init priority order - instead
> you need to edit the file and by hand change the start stop priority

Actually, it would have been more accurate if I had explained that it
"resets" the order to what it "should" be. When I examined my system,
I found that NetworkManager had a priority of 27 in my runlevels, but
23 in the chkconfig line in the initscript - those commands above just
force NetworkManager back to what it should be. You are correct that
changing the chkconfig line in /etc/init.d/NetworkManager can change
the priority, but there is usually a reason why something is a
particular priority and hence changing it is not necessarily a good
idea.

Having thought about it, it may be better to amend the fstab entries from:

   fs2:/storage1      /backup      nfs     defaults    0 0

to:

    fs2:/storage1      /backup      nfs     bg,defaults    0 0

Making it a background mount will make NFS keep retrying to mount it,
so hopefully it will be done by the time your system comes up
completely.

--
Sam