Re: Re: Sophos Anti Virus

From: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, 2010/May/15 07:56

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 07:12:49 -0400,
>  Wm_Frank Pont jr <fpont@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have many programs which g++ has produced and I own.  These could
>> be the target of a virus.  It would be easy for me to wipe all of my
>> executables and re-make them but I just realized that unlike many
>> LINUX folk, I am somewhat virus vulnerable ... maybe with quotes around
>> the word.  Worms, Trojan horses, phishing ... are possible. We should
>> not hide behind a Superiority complex until some strange anti social kid
>> nails us.  We already have a lot of safeguards in place.  But it seems
>> that we are a trusting community.
>
> Antivirus is not the right solution. It doesn't really work since
> blacklists
> can't be up to date or all inclusive. And they suck up a lot of resources.
>
> The correct response is to avoid executing foreign code, and sandbox when
> processing untrusted data and especially untrusted code.

Bruno, you are outside in subzero (F) temperatures. You are wearing a
teeshirt, jeans, and flip-flops. Would you accept a nice warm winter
jacket that has a hole or two in the elbows and one pocket ripped off?
Would you accept boots that were cracked and leaky? Would you like to
add worn out socks to the boots?

Even if you are outside on that same day wearing a woolen sweater, a
winter jacket, warm woolen pants, and flip-flops would you accept the
boots and socks even if they had holes in them?

Apply the thought process to anti-malware. If your machine and your work
is not valuable to you then forget anti-malware and plan to reinstall
someday, practice safe browsing, play footsie with Nigerian spammers,
and so forth. It's your prerogative.

I rather like to trade the flip-flops for the holey socks and worn out
boots for that little bit extra warmth if I'm going to hike a mile or
two.

{^_^}