Re: Warning during installation of ns-2.34 on fedora-11

On 05/11/2010 08:49 AM, g wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> A few things....
>>
>> I don't think you meant "posting in text/plain" since that doesn't have
>> any direct influence on the type of Content-Transfer-Encoding used.
>>
> no debate on what you state, as there are exceptions.
>
> to clarify 'text/plain', i direct this towards the majority that are using
> 'english' and use 'text/html' and 'base64' in email clients that are very
> well capable of printing 'text/plain'. this includes those who are using
> google mail/gmail and yahoo mail and use 'text/html'.

OK...but as I said, it isn't always the email client that is forcing
base64.   At the company I mentioned emails sent by users are sent from
their clients as...

but their gateway will convert each message to....

Yes, bad assumptions are made by the gateway administrator.  He has
assumed that all messages will contain some Chinese and that receiving
MTA's will "break" the messages sent as 8bit.

> gmail accounts have ability to select html or plain text. can not comment
> on what yahoo account do.

Right....but wasn't it about CTE and not plain v.s. html?
> as for sending an email containing chinese characters from a gmail account,
> would their email not be in chinese, and not english? being that i do not
> read chinese or other asian languages, along with other foreign languages
> and they get deleted.

Well, no.  Just because an email contains some Chinese characters
doesn't mean the message is in Chinese.  If that were true, then my
message here is Chinese since it has some Chinese in the signature.

To stretch that point.  All of my friends here in Taiwan send mail to me
in English.  Quite a few of them have headers that state

big5 is a standard character set encoding here in Taiwan.  But, to use
the charset to identify the language of the body of the message to be
Chinese would be a mistake.

But, my point is still...senders to this list can be faulted for sending
text/html v.s. text/plain....but they can't always be "faulted" for
their CTE being quoted-printable or base64.

--
When you speak to others for their own good it's advice; when they speak
to you for your own good it's interference. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路