Re: Preferred Applications -> Mail Reader

> There's an RFC which describes how this should be done. See
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2368.html. I don't know if Emacs obeys it. I
> do know that Evolution does obey it, as do a number of other MUAs.

Thanks, that was informative! I had no idea even cc, subject and body
could be specified in a mailto tag.

> Forget about the clicking for now. It's irrelevant to the core of the
> question, which is how to specify a target mail address in a standard
> way. I can't help you with converting what you click into the right
> form. I'm just trying to suggest what the right form might be.

I was not being clear when I posed my initial question and I'm sorry
about that. What I'm interested in is indeed precisely to convert what
I clicked on to an email address that gets inserted in a new email
draft in emacs. This is done seamlessly in Fedora when using Mutt and
Evolution, and with the script I referenced below, also with Gmail.
I've now been able to modify the script and make it work my way by
putting the following in Preferred Applications -> Mail Reader ->
Custom -> Command:

perl -e '$to = shift;$to =~ s/^mailto://i;exec("emacsclient", "-e",
"(mh-smail-batch ".$to.")" );' '%s'

(uncheck the "Run in treminal" tick box)

Provided you are using MH-E and provided the emacs server is running,
when you click on a mailto tag, a new buffer is opened in emacs with a
new draft addressed according to the mailto tag you clicked on.

Thanks for the help!

/Henrik