Re: Converting MKV to AVI

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 09:53 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:

>>> Yes, it only seems to output H.264 or Mpeg-4.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> It's really unfortunate but linux and video leaves something to be desired.

Given that most of the big studios use Linux, perhaps you want to re-examine
that conclusion.

>> The last one I have had some success is WinFF
>>
>> it uses ffmpeg to do it's work.
>>
>> Try it it does cover most files to avi.
>
> Generating avi output is not really the problem. Avi is just a container
> format. The real issue is how to specify the right codecs with the right
> parameters. There are just way too many options for the non-expert to be
> able to decide.

This sounds as if the problem is that you don't know what codecs you need,
rather than a lack of ability to produce them. The ffmpeg acodec and vcodec
options will set  the output format, the bitrate and size options will give you
the quality and appearance you want, and the aspect option will let you override
the default choice based on input data. Five options wouldn't seem "way to many"
and cover virtually all the adjustment you need in most cases.

If you have a file which works, why not use that as input the ffmpeg and record
what you need as a result.Then if you have problems creating that people can
help you set the options.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>