Re: seeking resolution to Network Device difficulties

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 12:35 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> In the router configuration, I see my old IP (192.168.1.64) and it is shown
> as being linked to an HWAddresss (MAC Address, I guess, for my old ethernet).

This is fairly common for DHCP servers. They store information about
previous leases so that the same client can then get the same IP.

If your router is a closed box, then nobody here is going to be able to
tell you how to remove this old info from it.

All this said, if having a known, static IP address is a real
requirement, then you have two choices:

1) Configure a static IP address on your box instead of using DHCP. In
the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file, you will need to
have BOOTPROTO=static and add IPADDR & NETMASK lines. Just make sure the
IPADDR you choose is outside the range of any that will be assigned by
your router. If you are using NetworkManager, then I believe you can
(and should) configure the IP address through that.

2) Configure the DHCP server to assign a specific address to your
specific MAC address. You will need to consult the manual for your
router for information on how to do that.

--Greg