Re: Preupgrade??

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Peter Larsen <plarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 22:58 -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>         That's not what I said.  I said I've been using Fedora and
>         RedHat long
>         before things like LVM existed.  I'm more comfortable without
>         them at
>         times, especially after I got burned by a disk failure while
>         using LVM.
>
> Oops! Disk failures happen. You had problems doing a restore?
>
> Whatever the case may be, it seems to me LVM shouldn't be thrown at
> newbies for the desktop. I certainly will keep away from it as much as
> I can.

I could not disagree more. LVM is essential to solve problems like
resizing issues; backup and generally solve all the problems that static
partition tables has had since their inception.

I'm glad to learn that Beartooth finally found somebody to help him out!

Generally, "users" shouldn't care about how/where things are stored.
They use OpenOffice, mail, browsers and applications. It's not the users
job to configure the box and do system administration.

That's certainly the way Mac users think. The problem is when something goes awry. It sometimes takes a hell of a lot of time before you get out of the forest that eases things out.

The problem here seems to be, that Fedora isn't using a Grub version
that supports LVM. Is there any plans on switching to grub2 on install
so we can get rid of the /boot partition and help resolve issues like
upgrade needing more space temporarily.

Oops! No help for Beartooth, then? Are you saying that LVM has been pushed onto unsuspecting users something like 2 or 3 versions too soon? You'll need somebody more competent than me to comment on this but that's pretty much the reason I'm not too fond of Fedora's novelties.