Re: Preupgrade??

On 05/02/2010 11:23 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> I have selected my disk partitioning for a long time and  when new
> wizardry comes along, I always wonder how much help it's going to be. In
> most cases, for a desktop, here, I'd say "none".
>
>     > I believe there should be a page on FedoraProject to explain how
>     to get
>     > rid of that ext3 /boot partition. Of course, for most people, I
>     suppose
>     > it won't be much of an issue for most users but, when a 500 MB boot
>     > partition is now suggested for /boot -- which 25 times my first
>     HD! --,
>     > it certainly doesn't look very clean.
>
>     Knowledge of this sort is a dangerous weapon.  It is known by those who
>     understand it and are willing to possibly shoot themselves in the foot
>     because they know what they are doing.  When you get to that stage, you
>     will understand.
>

> There are some solutions here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade#Not_enough_space_in_.2Fboot
>
> but you think they're unsafe?

That's not what I said.  I said I've been using Fedora and RedHat long
before things like LVM existed.  I'm more comfortable without them at
times, especially after I got burned by a disk failure while using LVM.

I do things that some people would consider "unsafe" or not natural, or
not the latest and greatest because I've been doing it that way for years.

I've read the section on not enough space in /boot.  I've used the
download method for the image files on occasion on my test machine.

The last time I did it, the file I needed to download did not exist on
the Fedora server for a couple of days (the couple of days I was trying
to do the upgrade).  I had to google around to find another copy of it
still on a server somewhere.  Then I had the unfortunate power-failure
during package installation that effectively hosed my system and had to
re-install from scratch.

I don't believe the published methods are inherently unsafe, everything
is unsafe without sufficient safeguards.  I don't always have those
safeguards in place.  A lot of people don't.

(I read something somewhere, once, that said that multi PV usage of LVM
was only safe when implemented over a Raid array of disks (redundancy
required), so that it could survive a single disk failure.  B^)

You decide what you are willing to live with, and you take your chances
with the rest.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx