Re: Preupgrade??

On 05/03/2010 10:58 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
> <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     That's not what I said.  I said I've been using Fedora and RedHat long
>     before things like LVM existed.  I'm more comfortable without them at
>     times, especially after I got burned by a disk failure while using LVM.
>

> Oops! Disk failures happen. You had problems doing a restore?

I didn't have a *current* backup to restore from (what I had was 5-6
months old), but since I was replacing a disk, I took the opportunity to
punt LVM and repartition.  I think I lost 1 partition with a collection
of MPEGs that wasn't backed up (even though there were bits and pieces
of it on the remaining disk in a partial LV).

> Whatever the case may be, it seems to me LVM shouldn't be thrown at
> newbies for the desktop. I certainly will keep away from it as much as I
> can.

I agree.

>     You decide what you are willing to live with
>

> I, as most desktop users, am willing to live with as little problems as
> possible. :) I don't believe LVM is part of this.

I am willing to live with more than most users, certainly more than most
newbies.  Given that I've been running a version of Linux on my primary
desktop computer since version 0.12 sometime back in 1993.  B^)
I still have the 5 1/2" floppy with it around here somewhere....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx