Re: [WAY WAY OT] Ubuntu 10.04 and Nvidia driver

On 05/02/2010 11:14 AM, john wendel wrote:
> I just tried the live-CD of Ubuntu 10.04 and generally found it to be
> very nicely done. But there was a big problem with the Nvidia driver
> that I thought we could all learn something from my experience (like
> "don't be stupid"), and maybe have a chuckle or two.
>
> After starting, a "helpful" pop-up told me that I needed the Nvidia
> driver if I wanted 3D acceleration and certain other (unspecified)
> enhancements. It offered to install the driver (after explaining why it
> was BAD from a free software perspective), so I said OK. I was then
> offered a choice from the 3 driver versions, without any explanation of
> which one I needed (I needed the 173 version), and the "recommended"
> version was the latest (195 version). STRIKE 1! I selected the 173
> version and clicked the "activate" button. After some
> downloading/installing, I was told that I needed to restart the system
> to use the new driver. IT'S A LIVE CD FOLKS! Restarting of course wiped
> out the new driver download. STRIKE2! So, I did the download again and
> this time instead of restarting the system, I just restarted X. Luckily,
> I know how to kill and restart X because there is no newbie friendly
> menu selection to do this. Of course, it didn't work because the Nouveau
> driver got loaded first and kept the Nvidia driver from loading. STRIKE
> 3! I'm out.
>
> Of course, with an installed version of Ubuntu, this process would
> probably have worked fine. I really wish the best for Ubuntu, but I
> think I'll stick with Fedora.
>
> Sorry for the noise.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Please read this

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#head-205aab6f190d363e3915c0fa2e0681fc392aaeb6

TWO things must be done

To use the default initrd, but disable the nouveau driver, edit
/etc/grub.conf and add the following to the end of the line(s) starting
with 'kernel':

   rdblacklist=nouveau

Before using the driver, you need to lower your system protection so
SElinux doesn't prevent the driver to load.

setsebool -P allow_execstack on

Thats that

Read the documentation here