Re: on updated f12 system, wireless suddenly vanishes

>   a bit of a mystery here ... after wireless has worked just fine on
> this laptop for months on end, i show up at a friend's place after
> work, fire up the laptop, expect to connect to his wireless same as
> usual and ... nothing.
>
>   check the network settings thru network manager and not only is
> wireless not active, the setting is greyed out so i can't even select
> it to activate it.  how odd.
>
>   "ifconfig -a" shows a wlan0 interface, but it's not up.  then
> there's iwconfig:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated
>           Tx-Power=off
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off

If "ifconfig" without the -a doesn't show the interface then...

> if i try to scan with that interface:
>
> # iwlist wlan0 scan
> wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

Is not unusual.  The same thing happens here.

But, all I have to do is us the NM applet and check "Enable Wireless".
And all is back to normal.
> #
>
>   and
>
> # ifconfig wlan0 up
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132
> #
>
>   time to start googling, of course, but all of this came on suddenly
> and for no apparent reason.  thoughts?

My minor thoughts are above.  My system is a desktop with a wireless
embedded on the motherboard that I don't normally use.

I suppose the question is...what is your HW and is the driver loaded?

--
Q: How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: None.
The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master stays out of the way.