Re: Wireless camera under Fedora

On 24/04/10 04:23, Clark Martin wrote:
> On 4/23/10 5:52 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> I have a Linksys WVC54GCA camera running under Fedora-12.
>> This camera can be connected under Ethernet or WiFi.
>> The theory is that you connect it under Ethernet
>> and set it up, and it then runs under WiFi.
>>
>> I find that while it works for one dhcpd lease
>> (or possibly two leases) it seems always to fail then.
>>
> What does that mean?  It's only going to have one lease at a time.
>
> If you use DHCP you really need have it set up with a static address.
>

>> As I want to run it at a remote site (in another country)
>> this is not much use.
>> I don't see anything in /var/log/messages to explain this.
>> The camera does not seem to ask for renewal of its lease.
>>
>> Assuming that this is something to do with the camera,
>> I wonder if anyone has advice on a suitable WiFi camera
>> for this purpose?
>> I guess I'd prefer a tilt and shift camera,
>> if such is available for a reasonable sum.
>>
>> If anyone has experience of running such a camera
>> under Fedora or CentOS I should very much like to hear
>> your experience.
>>

> One thing is make sure to upgrade the firmware.  I have the same model
> and before I updated the firmware it would hang after 1-2 days.  I'm not
> sure about it now but it might be staying up for 1-2 weeks.  It might
> not be hanging up, I haven't checked it out thoroughly yet.
>
> I can't recall if I've ever accessed this camera from Fedora.  I can
> access it from Mac OS, Debian, UBuntu and WinXP.

    I have a couple of Zonenet cameras bought from Newegg on sale for
    about $40 each. They work fine here in my room but I bought them to
    look at places I can't see from here. One I mounted in the attic of
    an out building. It quit several times on warm spring days until I
    got smart and opened two windows to get more ventilation. It's been
    running continuously for about a month now without failing.

    I run them at a low frame rate to try and save some b.w. on our LAN,
    3 fps. When they failed I would have to wait 'til they cooled and
    remove and reconnect the power to restore them to operation which
    might be a problem if they were a thousand miles away?

    They are spec'd for 45°C, most I looked up are only good to 40°C if
    I recall ... That's not much in an attic where temperatures can get
    quite high. Anyway when they overheated it looked like the radio
    link failed and they would disappear from the  wireless router list
    of "attached devices." I am running them dhcp and let the router
    assign the address that I have selected for each of them.

    The one displaying this problem [I returned the first one under
    warranty so it's actually the second with that problem] views a
    large section of pasture for my three mares and it is important to
    me to know that they are there safe and not wandering the
    neighborhood. The other I will eventually put out front to look down
    a long driveway to the road. They work quite well for simple and
    inexpensive devices.

    Bob