Re: Fwd: Updates next steps

Hi:

> 1. Limit the frequency of non-critical updates to once per week in
> stable releases

  Do not create client policy on the server side - it is way to
restrictive and wont satisfy the client needs of many.

  And, not using the full bandwidth is very suboptimal. (Like a 30
minute lawn watering, where the water company limits your water to 2
minutes of water then off for 1 hour .. :-)

  Any 'limiting' of updates ( to weekly or whatever frequenccy) should
be done at the client side - if you want to update weekly - go ahead -
but let me update when I choose to, be it daily, monthly or every 3.2 days.

  Enhance packagekit to offer update on scheduling if it doesn't already
do that - or set it to download but not update ... or whatever makes you
happy like using cron.

> 2. Establish norms or rules that limit the types of changes in stable
> releases to ensure the releases remain stable

   These are largely up to the maintainer and there was discussion about
improving quality, testing etc - that is a healthy focus. However again,
Fedora users broadly like the way things happen (not all but broadly -
for some the lags in some packages from upstream are way too long
already - for others the rapid updates of key packages is a huge
improvement in functionality and efficiency of human resources over
back-porting fixes (security or otehrwise).

   If you are looking for the fedora equivalent of ubuntu lts - you wont
find it - the closest, would be centos or ubuntu lts ;-)

   If you want to pitch for  a Fedora LTS - I suspect you'll find a
lovely following - not from the desktop users - but from the server side.

   However, this discussion, along with rolling releases happens now and
again ... and we are in much the same place today.

> Thoughts?  What is the best way to accomplish these two things?

  My view - dont.

  You're treeing up the wrong bark ...I for one dont want to accomplish
your goals as they are undesirable.

 gene