Re: gnome-key-manager-> seahorse

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 08:36 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> My question is why call the new project seahorse a name which would be
> hard to associate with what the program does. Is there some reason
> that the new program could not keep the same name or at least a more
> meaningful name?

It's a fair comment, people fall in love with the idea of branding
something with their pet name, but fail to see how pointless their name
is if you're not already familiar with their brand name.

Seahorse doesn't occur to me as a logical name for key management.  Nor
does Firefox sound like the name for a web browser, or Thunderbird for
email...

On the other hand, when it's referred to as the Firefox web browser,
then I know it's *a* web browser, and *which* one.  Likewise for the
other applications I mentioned, but that (full identification) rarely
seems to be the case.

Better use of the menu system helps in this regards, but only for what's
already installed.  If it comes to adding more software, much of the
stuff listed in the add/remove list of thingies is completely obscure.
KDE seems to be the worst for that sort of thing, coming up with kutesy
names that start with a k, but mean nothing to you unless you've already
heard of the program.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686