Re: f12 sometimes is slow to start

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:52:28 +0200,
>  Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> There is one little problem. Every now and then when I boot the laptop
>> it kind of 'freezes' and a few minutes later it works as it should
>> without any other problems. I can change to a virtual terminal and
>> login there, but if I try to login graphically it will take me like 2
>> to 3 minutes to complete the process. I cannot see anything in the log
>> files.
>
> You might want to check you disk drives using smartctl (in the smartmontools
> package). If you have some bad blocks, they could cause probelms.

I thought about that :) ; according to pamlipsest the disk is healthy
and has passed all tests.

> On that time interval I would suspect either dns timeouts or lots of disk
> activity as what you are waiting on.

the dns setup both at home as at work is solid (I'm a sysadmin, so
yes, I know). I fail to see how dns should have local graphical logins
slow down randomly, to be honest. Could you care to ellaborate?

As to disk i/o, nope, it's nearly non-existent. I can logon a vt and
start top and the system is idle.

Any other ideas?

tia,
--