Re: New video card

On Tuesday 13 April 2010, Sam Sharpe wrote:
>On 13 April 2010 18:50, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Greets all;
>>
>> I have a PNY, PCI-e, GForce 9400 GT card still in the box.  What sort of
>> support will it have with the neauvou (sp) driver when I install F13
>> beta?
>
>You can get a basic overview of what is complete here (that is an NV50
>based card):
>
>http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

Thanks Sam.

It could be worse, compare that to the current radeon drivers performance
when there is an rv610 at the end of the bus.  That has been so slow becoming
even 'usable' that I am becoming discouraged with ATI's efforts to convince
us they like linux.  Only the high end cards get any tlc at all, and I took
to building kernel.org kernels just to get rid of the broken drm that caused
wild screen blanking anytime an overlay image touched the right border of the
screen, and that was only fixed well at 2.6.34-rc2, after complaining &
filing bz reports for over 22 months.  But the ATI 2400HD Pro's price rapidly
reduced from the $80 I paid, descending to less than $40 by the time the
supply pipeline was emptied.  And cheap cards get no TLC from the folks at
xorg.  Funny thing though, they probably sell 20 similar $50 cards for every
one of the $400+ cards that goes out the door.

>But it changes regularly and I bet that updating the FeatureMatrix is
>not a top priority when there is development work to be done. You will
>probably get the same or more functionality to that promised in the
>FeatureMatrix.

Sounds as if its at least worth the try, thanks Sam.

>I also have an NV50 based card in my Work Desktop, and I'm interested
>in the results you get as I can't just tinker with my workstation as I
>need it to work!
>
>F13 on my Intel-based laptop hums along nicely though ;o)

I'm about to try it myself, but it had better run at least 20x faster than
F12 did.  Why?  Because it ran at about 5% of the speed 32 bit F10 ran at on
this box, or Mandriva-2010-x64 which is what I have booted at the instant.  I
haven't tried a 32 bit install on the old original linux box from 1997 that
is sitting under the next desk needing a D&C badly, which has a 500Mhz K6-III
and 384 megs of ram in it.  But the last time I did have it booted to RH7.3,
it ran many times faster than F12 ran on this slow, only 2.1Ghz, quad core
phenom with 4Gib of 800 Mhz dram in it.  Why was it so slow?  Damnifiknow,
htop didn't give me any clues.  But 3+ minutes to launch kmail, after around
10 to get x started, or nearly 5 minutes from click to partially usable for
firefox just doesn't cut it.  And I never did get
kmail/fetchmail/procmail/spamassassin setup in the week I had it installed.
So with no working email agent I couldn't post a question to ask.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)