Re: New video card

On 04/13/2010 11:36 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 04/13/2010 07:30 PM, Michael Miles wrote:

>>> You can get a basic overview of what is complete here (that is an NV50
>>> based card):
>>>
>>> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
>>>
>>> But it changes regularly and I bet that updating the FeatureMatrix is
>>> not a top priority when there is development work to be done. You will
>>> probably get the same or more functionality to that promised in the
>>> FeatureMatrix.
>>>
>>> I also have an NV50 based card in my Work Desktop, and I'm interested
>>> in the results you get as I can't just tinker with my workstation as I
>>> need it to work!
>>>
>>> F13 on my Intel-based laptop hums along nicely though ;o)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sam
>>>

>> Also with nvidia proprietary drivers you get to overclock your Nvidia
>> These cards handle OC very well.
>> My 550 MHz 9400 gt is overclocked to 700MHz and handles it well
>>
>> NVclock is a very useful tool to get the most out of your card
>>
>> Nouveau will not support any of these added features
>>
>> Cuda is a big one since the  device handles hardware decoding and with
>> some software will speed up video encoding dramatically
>>
>> I know Win 7 developed the cuda right into the OS to handle video
>> encoding and decoding and I do not know if Fedora is following suit but
>> GPU computing is the way of the future.
>> Nvidia 9400 gt adds 52 gflops of computational speed to the system @ 700 MHz
>> 40 gflops at native speed
>>
>> 9400 gt is a low end card
>>
>> nvidia 295 will blow your mind with 400 gflops added to a system and
>> that is a conservative estimate
>>
> Have you ever use CUDA on Fedora?  If so, what apps were these?
>
> Andrew.

Until dvd ripping, trancode and most video players start developing
software to actually use it we won't see much that will
It is just catching on now.
I use it mainly to dramatically increase computation speed with Boinc
and Seti@home

Windows based video players and encoders decoders are using it quite a
bit and it should not be far off for linux users.

The cuda toolkit offers someone with programming knowledge to make their
own apps.

Mainly is offsets the cpu and does floating point math for a much faster
outcome.
It will not be long when we see the mainstream os's incorporate it into
rendering engines