nautilus bug with home folder not opening after updates

I've been putting up with rebooting my systems, some times at least twice,
to get nautilus to open the home folder and show the contents after doing a
bunch of updates with yum. I have this happening on one F-11 box, I have
another F-11 box that doesn't do it and my F-12 box also has this problem.
All are using the 32 bit distros and have "yum update" run on them manually
every few days.

After doing some research on and off for the past few months I think I found
the solution here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus/+bug/290136 (read comment #48)

The other weird thing is nautilus will not show any of the files in the
"/usr/share/application" folder that starts with "gnome-xxx.yyy". I can do a
search and they're found. Also gedit can see them in it's file open dialog
too. Going to the CL I can "cd  /usr/share/applications" then do a "ls"
which also shows all of the files. Nautilus won't. This isn't cool. I
thought nautilus should show all files and folders unless they are of the
hidden type, a dot file. That now doesn't appear to be the case.

Anybody else run into this and is it a nautilus bug, the file display
weirdness?