Re: nvidia quadro broken after recent update

On 04/10/2010 07:54 AM, David L wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Gilboa Davara wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I got this system working dual head again by booting to
>>> runlevel 3 with one monitor plugged in, removing
>>> xorg.conf, running startx, plugging the second monitor
>>> in, poking myself in the eye, and running system-config-display.
>>> Some of those steps may be optional.
>>>
>>> When I click OK to exit system-config-display, it creates a
>>> new xorg.conf that doesn't work the next time I reboot.
>>>
>>>             David
>>>
>> If you're using the OSS nouveau driver, I'd suggest you file a bug
>> report against it in http://bugzilla.redhat.com.
>>
> I think I'm using the xorg-x11-drv-nv driver, not the nouveau
> driver after running system-config-display.  The xorg.conf that
> system-config-display creates has a section that looks like this:
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Videocard0"
> 	Driver      "nv"
> EndSection
>
> So I guess this is an nv bug?  Should system-config-display
> be setting up the nouveau driver if it is installed instead of
> the nv driver?
>

>> In general you are no longer required to use xorg.conf to get a working
>> configuration - at least in theory.
>>
> I'm not running system-config-display to get the
> xorg.conf... I'm running it because it seems to recognize
> a dual head configuration for me during the current
> session.  Speaking of that, if xorg.conf isn't needed,
> where do dual head settings (eg, which monitor is
> on the left) get stored and what is the appropriate
> tool to use to configure dual head?  I notice on a
> different system that dual head works even though
> system-config-display shows the dual head check
> box disabled.
>
> Thanks,
>
>                David

Well I use a Nvidia 9400 gt on this Phenom 2 945 and Fedora 12
I had to make sure that nouveau was blacklisted before it would work.
Also for dual displays the Nvidia Display setting that get installed
with Nvidia drivers is perfect  except it has a problem writing a new
xorg file. Permissions

Nvclock I use to bump it up a bit

These Nvidia 9600 based gpu can overclock very well

18% on this one and hovering at 55C when under full load

Try different driver packages to make sure it is not the driver slowing
down your computer
I know that with the Cuda it saturates the gpu so that display becomes
bogged
Are you running science apps like boinc?
If so  shut it down and see.

Make sure you run default speeds on gpu while trial and erroring

Michael