nvidia quadro broken after recent update

I'm running f12 and after an update today, X is broken on this system:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_8aaac744-2cff-40c2-aeed-743e9495e525

I had it working this morning but now the system becomes
unresponsive unless I boot with nomodeset.  I tried booting to the
kernel that I think I was using this morning and got the same
problem.  X works until about the time that it usually switches to
the graphical login window and then it hangs.  If I boot with both
monitors plugged in, one of the monitors says that an unsupported
video mode is being used.  If I plug a second monitor in after booting
and try to set up dual head with system-config-display, it won't let me.
This worked fine yesterday... I didn't even have to click on the dual
head checkbox... it recognized the two monitors automagically when
I ran system-config-display and all I had to do was change the
order of the displays.  I think the last time I updated was about 10
days ago.  The only quirk with X I had until today is that I had to
plug the second monitor in after logging in or something weird
happened (don't remember what it was).

I tried using the newest kernel that I found a link to in a bugzilla
report (2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE) and that didn't help.  I need
to get the dual head support back somehow.  I'm not even sure
what to file a bug report against, because the kernel I was using
this morning doesn't work and the date nv_drv.so and nouveau_drv.so
are older than my 9 day uptime from this morning.  But X was
working fine this morning.  Any ideas what changed?

Thanks,

       David

PS - Forgot to mention... I can boot without rhgb to runlevel 3
and startx with a single monitor and that works too.  So I have
two ways to get my system working with 1 monitor (runlevel 3
and nomodeset), but I can't get dual head working again. :(

I noticed a few weeks ago that nvidia is dropping support
for open source drivers... is it time for me to switch to their
proprietary driver?