From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 9 April, 2010 5:25:52 PM
Subject: Re: fort77 compiler

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 06:13 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Fri April 9 2010, Siavoush Dastmalchi wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am trying to install a program on my Linux system (Fedora core 5) but
> > it fails because there is no fort77 compiler. I know that I have a
> > working ifort on my system, but I need fort77. It looks like that the
> > program that I am trying to install can also be compiled with g77, but
> > again this one is also missing. I was wondering how I can get these
> > compliers and get them work on my system.
> > Cheers, Siavoush
> >
> I realize I'm ignoring your question, but have you considered upgrading to
> a supported release of Fedora, such as 11 or 12 or Rawhide (F13 Beta)??
> There's a better chance you'll be able to install whatever it is you're
> wanting to install if you have a "modern" install of Fedora. If you don't
> want to do that, I recommend you consider installing either RedHat
> Enterprise or CentOS, which is basically RedHat Enterprise which has been
> recompiled to remove all references to RedHat, but is still the same thing.
> :-)
>
> Also, you can download a Fortran 77 compiler here:
> http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/fortran.shtml

I don't recall if FC5 had gfortran or g77, but it did have a fortran
compiler.  The RPM would be called gcc-g77 or gcc-gfortran.  Get it from
wherever you get your FC5 rpms.  gfortran replaced g77 and includes
support for FORTRAN 77 as well as Fortran 90 and up.

But John is right--you really should upgrade to F12, at least.  (You can
still get support for F11, but that will go away once F13 comes out.)

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu